Today I realized that I have not tried any type of vegan cake or cupcake yet, so I decided to make these Chocolate Vegan Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Frosting using these recipes I found online:
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).
- Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
Mint Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp soy milk
- 2 tsp mint extract
- dash salt
Blend or whisk together all ingredients. Add more liquid or sugar as needed.
Ghiradelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips